Sunday, March 15, 2009

Behaviourism

While I am a constructivist educator, I DO accept that reinforcement aids learning new skills and can make observable (encourages demonstration) what is possibly only learned inside the mind.
For example, my kids my learn through a constructivist method how wash dishes (first cups, then plates, then big cooking pots etc. warm water, then hot), dry them and put them away. I want to see it.
They can describe how to do it. They tell me they know how to do it.
When I praise them for a good job or discipline & reteach small steps for a bad job, they get better - it is observable learning.
Behaviourism's reinforcement, combined with constructivist, small steps in building learning, is effective. I like behaviour to be demonstrated - like kids getting better at the dishes as this is evidence, observable.

No comments: