I decided to join facebook (www.facebook.com).
It took quite some time for the confirmation email to come through so I could start finding friends.
Finding friends was like finding some sprats in a massive ocean; there are so many people with my own name... it was harder finding my own mates than the organisational facebook pages that I wanted to join.
To have effective facilitation in a facebook environment I would consider doing the following:
- getting agreement on ground rules
- asking for ideas, shared resources and experiences on a topic of interest (like a simply links list of appropriate resources like http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2358208324 or FAQ)
- let friends define priorities for topics
- identify expertise in the friends
- use other tools (Google Gears and Google Apps) to plan and share understanding and create presentations that are easy to access (e.g. SlideShare.com)
- build a rotation of the role for Social Director on a topic or online event